About Upward Bound
Upward Bound is federally funded, and helps high school students develop skills and motivation they need to succeed in high school. Also, Upward Bound gives students necessary tools to enter and be successful in college. To achieve these goals, Upward Bound provides academic support, social and cultural enrichment, and opportunities for personal growth. These services are free of cost.
Students who are in 9th or 10th grade, exhibit academic potential, and show a desire to enroll in college are encouraged to apply to the Upward Bound program. Participants remain in the Upward Bound program through graduation from high school.
Are you wondering what the Upward Bound summer experience is like? Click here!
Thoughts from Upward Bound scholars after a recent Summer Academy:
- The most helpful experience this summer was having the teachers making the classes interesting, not just making it seem like a regular class. I enjoyed the labs we did in chemistry, and those will help me remember certain things. The Cornell note style of taking notes, and posters that we did in History.
- I really liked getting to challenge myself and figuring out more about myself that I probably never would have known before.
- It was a helpful experience for me personally just by knowing that the Resident Advisors are always there to help me with any problem or just listen when I need it.
- This summer experience helped me not be the shy and closed up person I used to be.
- My summer experience had a huge impact on me by allowing me to meet many new people. The people I have met here accepted me for who I am and encouraged me to be myself more often.
- I feel very confident that I will get into a prestigious school if I keep working hard and I do not stop trying my best. I think that I will be a good college student.
- It makes me look forward to my college experience and helped me realize my options.
- After participating in this summer, I am looking forward to college! I feel Upward Bound has and will continue to help me get more comfortable with leaving home.
- Academically the rising 11th grade mentorship was the most helpful experience because it helped me experience a bit of what I want to be in the future and it helped me learn about it too.
- I loved getting to do hands on things and engaging in classes more than I would in a regular school class.
- I hope that I'm able to push myself to work harder in school. Sometimes it gets really hard to keep up with all of the work, and I definitely don't want to let my grades fall. I hope that Upward Bound helps me continue to work hard and keep my grades up.
The Upward Bound program saved my life. For years, the thought of going to college never occurred to me. I felt like college was only an option for privileged white kids. It wasn't until Upward Bound that I began to understand that ANYONE could go to college. No matter your sex, your color or your family's income. My education became a get-away plan from the poverty cycle. Kids who are forced to stay in the poverty cycle were told that they "couldn't". Well, I am saying you CAN. If there is anything you get out of my story, I want it to be this: As long as you put your mind to something, you will find opportunities of happiness and success at every corner. My education has improved my life drastically and I would like the same for anyone who has been told "You Can't". Prove them wrong.
Being in the Upward Bound program was the best I could ever ask for. If it wasn’t for this wonderful program, I would probably not be doing anything at all. Having all the support of all of the coordinators is what gave me the strength to apply to college and be someone in life. Someone who is happy with their job! Giving up is the worst thing someone could ever do. Know that after the storm there is peace. Work hard on your dreams and life will smile at you!
To start off, I am glad I did Upward Bound. It was a good way to meet people from different schools, and get a start on my classes for the next year. I really liked how they always made sure I was on top of your school work, and doing everything I can do to make sure I was able to get into the college that I wanted to go to. They helped me go places that I never would have went to, like Washington D.C for example. I never would have went on my own and it is a memory I will cherish all of my life. UB was and still is a great group of people that will look after you and make you feel like you are at a home away from home. They helped me transition into college very well and they are still helping me today. I am glad I did and have no regrets, So if you get the chance to do, don't be afraid just do it and you will have no regrets.
Upward Bound truly changed my life. I've experienced a variety of things that I wouldn't have got the chance to experience if I hadn't have joined. The best thing about Upward bound is the connections I made with all of the other scholars and leaders. Everyone is encouraging and willing to help anyone at any moment. I have never been a part of a better team and support system than Upward Bound is. Even though I graduated the program I still feel like i'm connected to it. I still talk to my past leaders and they email me or text me every once in awhile to see how I'm doing with college. I don't think it would have been possible for me to have been any more prepared for college than I was. It helped my mom get prepared for me leaving to college also. Looking back, the classes I took while I was in Upward Bound were set up exactly the same as the classes I take now. I absolutely loved everything about UB and would do it again if I had the chance. Go UB!
Upward Bound has changed my life! It has been a wonderful experience, and I could not have gotten this far without going through the program. It teaches beyond what a classroom can teach and prepares you for the real world. When it was time for me to step over the bridge from high school to college, I was fully prepared and ready for it. I made great friendships and memories I can never forget. Upward Bound was a true blessing for me.
UB was the most amazing experience I had in high school! I met the most awesome people ever! UB has really changed my life for the better, and helped me pick out my college. The people are always nice, and there to help you with anything you have questions with. I know the Bridge program really helped me transition into college. I don't know where I would be without the help and support of UB. If I could go back and do it over again, I would find out about it sooner!
The people in Upward Bound were always there for me and I consider everyone I met there part of my extended family. I loved the program so much that even now as I have entered college, I plan on becoming a tutor for the Upward Bound program here at Mars Hill College. I really want to give back to the program that has given so much to me.