At this current moment, we are planning to proceed with the Upward Bound Summer program as it normally happens. However, we are also working on alternative plans in case we are not able to have the students on campus for a residential experience. We will keep everyone updated with any changes.
App State Coronavirus Website - for most up-to-date information about the university's response to current events
Letter to families sent March 16th, 2020
Dear Upward Bound Student and Family,
As you are already aware, we are rapidly adapting to daily updates that may affect our summer academy. We have decided to go ahead and send you all the paperwork that is required for a residential experience, while keeping in mind that the plan may need to be modified for the safety and health of everyone involved. As of this mailing, our summer dates for rising 10th and rising 11th graders are June 14th - July 24th (note: no summer academy the week of July 6th). This packet contains a lot of information, and we ask that you read through everything carefully. If you have any concerns or questions, please contact us.
Summer Orientation (please be advised this may change!!):
- Saturday, April 25, 2020 from 9:45 am to 2:00 pm
- Appalachian State University: Plemmons Student Union Room #420
- Free Parking: Parking Deck located at 162 College Street, Boone, NC 28607
- Lunch is provided
- Each student may bring up to 2 family members (contact us if this creates a hardship)
If you know of any dates during the summer that your student will not be able to attend the summer academy, please contact us to let us know. We expect full participation in the summer, but want to work with families whenever possible, too. See this packet for more detailed dates.
We encourage all our families to friend Upward Bound Appalachian State University on Facebook and to follow us on Instagram. We look forward to seeing you at orientation!
Apply to the Upward Bound Program
As Upward Bound students, participants engage in academic programs throughout the year including:
- A six-week summer academy on Appalachian State University’s campus
- Tutoring assistance from college students
- Aid with selection of high school courses for college preparation
- College visits and help with applications for admission and financial aid
- Resume and cover letter development for scholarship application purposes
Students also have opportunities to form bonds with other students from area schools through various cultural and personal development experiences. All of these opportunities are paid for by Upward Bound.