Apply to the Upward Bound Program
*This application will take you about 30 minutes to complete and you will need information from your parents.*
Only students from the following schools in North Carolina are eligible to apply: Avery County High School, Ashe County High School, Ashe Early College, Freedom High School, McDowell High School, Watauga High School, Alleghany High School, West Wilkes High School
As Upward Bound students, participants engage in academic programs throughout the year including:
- A six-week summer academy on Appalachian State University’s campus
- Tutoring assistance from college students
- Aid with selection of high school courses for college preparation
- College visits and help with applications for admission and financial aid
- Resume and cover letter development for scholarship application purposes
Students also have opportunities to form bonds with other students from area schools through various cultural and personal development experiences. All of these opportunities are paid for by Upward Bound.
Virtual UB Summer Info: Rising 10 & 11 grade
Sunday- Thursday beginning June 13th and ending on July 22nd (no programming the week of July 4th).
This will include:
- Nightly Atom Group meetings 4:00-6:00 (small group of peers facilitated by trained college students)
- Two Academic Classes: English and one additional class of your choosing
- Sign Language
- Biology (with a focus on dissection)
The classes are not for a grade, and work can be done at your own pace to be turned in weekly.
- Virtual College Tours of Colleges and Universities
- First Aid Certification
- Art Projects
- Team building
- Service Projects (great for both personal growth and resume building!)
- Lifelong friends
What's different during a Virtual UB Summer?
You will receive a stipend at the end of the summer for participating in each program over the 6 weeks. We will also provide a laptop, hotspot, and other necessary supplies for all UB students for the summer.